If there’s one thing that you don’t want problems with in your home, it’s your gas lines. After all, a gas leak or abnormal gas pressure can not only impact your energy costs, but also compromise your home’s safety.
That’s why gas fitting is so important — and why it’s crucial that you choose the right team to help you inspect your lines, maintain them, and address emergency leaks.
To keep you and your family safe throughout winter (and all year round), here’s everything you need to know about how to choose the best gas fitters for your QLD home.
What should I look for when hiring a gas fitter?
Table of Contents
As we mentioned, gas is dangerous to work with: it’s highly flammable, and improper assembly of a gas line could leave your whole family at risk. It’s important, then, that you look for a seasoned professional who will get the job done right the first time. To this end, you should look for a gas fitter who ticks the following boxes:
Here’s a little more on these crucial characteristics.
Will they be available when you need them?
It’s best if you fnd someone who can successfully maintain your gas system and check it regularly. What’s more, you want a team that will be available when unforeseen emergencies arise. The right professional will just be a call away.
Can they accurately assess your gas system?
Make sure that the gas fitter that you hire has the skills, experience, and equipment to accurately tell the condition of your system. This will not only avoid accidents, but also help you understand more accurately when your system needs to be repaired or replaced.
Do they have the proper licensing?
The gas fitting plumber that you choose should be licensed, certified, and insured by their state – and they should be able to provide you with proof easily and quickly.
Do they have the right business experience?
This is more of a guideline than a hard-and-fast rule, but we also recommend that you find someone who has been in business if your area for several years. This not only heps ensure that they have experience working on homes like yours, but also helps indicate their longevity and whether or not they’ll be around down the line should you need more help.
Do they offer fair and competitive pricing?
Cheaper is definitely not better when it comes to something as important as gas fitting, so you shouldn’t look for bottom-of-the-barrel pricing. That said, your potential gas fitter should be able to show you that their pricing is transparent, fair, and competitive for your market.
Looking to save money? Check out our Gas Fitting Price Guide here
Do they provide an all-around service?
The right professional will also be able to execute checks, inspections, and repairs. Otherwise, you’ll waste time looking for multiple people to get all aspects of a job done. It also helps to find an emergency plumber to make sure you’ve got an expert in your corner whether it’s 2pm or 2am.
What questions should I ask a potential gas fitter?
To make sure that your potential gas fitter has theright qualifications for the job, you can ask him the following questions:
- “Are you licensed and certified?” You should only work with a gas fitter who is properly licensed and certified. If your potential candidate can’t provide you with proof of license, you should choose someone else.
- “What is the cost of your services?” You should request a quote ahead of time, particularly if you have a large project. If this is the case, you should definitely get the details in writing, and make sure there aren’t any unexpected charges.
- “Do you have any references?” You want to make sure that your gas fitter can demonstrate that they have satisfied customers – and that they can show you proof that they’ve successfully worked on similar jobs. Getting recent references is the easiest way to make that happen, and a reputable gas fitter won’t have any problem providing the right references to you.
- “Who will be doing the work?” Make sur that the actual person doing the work is certified, or that they will be supervised by a certified professional.
- “When is payment due?” Do they require a deposit at the beginning of the process? Wil payment be required only upon completion? Hammering out these details will help ensure that there are no surprises and that your engagement is smooth and hassle-free.
- “Do you include any clean-up in your prices?” You should clarify what kind of clean-up is included. Having to deal with an unexpected mess can be a total bummer, and can make a job completed feel like a bit of a failure. Clarify your expectations ahead of time to set expectations and avoid unforeseen problems.
- “Do you offer a warranty or guarantee?” Finally, it’s important that you understand what work is covered – and for how long – in case something breaks or leaks down the line.
Is it worth hiring a professional gas fitter?
Working on natural gas lines is dangerous, and there is a lot that can go wrong if you try to complete the job on your own (especially if you don’t have the right skill and special training). Specifically, you risk a fire, higher energy costs, and lost money if you need to hire a professional to fix your mistakes.
The right professional, on the other hand, will be able to:
✔ Maintain the safety of your property while completing repairs
✔ Handle various different building plans, e.g problem underneath the gas supply line
✔ Detect gas leaks in your home or business
✔ Identify and address potential problems with ease
Without the right training, something could go very wrong with your inspection or maintenance, so it pays to find a Sunshine Coast expert.
Looking for the best gas fitter on the Sunshine Coast?
If you need repairs, inspections, or maintenance completed on your natural gas lines, it’s important that you find the right gas fitter to get the job done. Otherwise, you face energy loss, flammability, and other big-picture concerns.
To find the right professional, we recommend that you check their references, make sure that they’re licensed and insured, and ask all the right questions to make sure that they’re qualified for the job.
If you would like to learn more about DYFA’s qualifications – or you want to determine if our team of professionals can get the job done for your family – feel free to contact us directly on 07 5475 4152.
You can also fill out the form here and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible.