There are certain things that you can easily bargain hunt for (and get the same quality for less). Other things, though — like doctors, dentists, and home improvement contractors — require that you do your homework and find the most skilled professionals if you want the job to turn out right.
This is definitely the case with your ACT plumber. Get it wrong, and you could find yourself dealing with leaks, ongoing maintenance, and even damage to your home. Let’s be honest, you don’t have time for that. But choosing the best plumbing services isn’t as easy as picking the first plumber you see on Google.
So here’s how to avoid the mistake of acting too quick and choose the best plumber for you in Sunshine Coast & Maroochydore.
Why is plumbing important?
When hiring a plumber, there are certain things you should look for (and certain questions to ask) to make sure that you’re hiring the right professional. These include:
- Services: First, take a look at the type of plumbing services that the professional offers to make sure they can help you with your problem. Many plumbers specialise in a particular type of service — like burst pipes, gas leaks, or leak detection — and you want to make sure you’re choosing the right team for you.
- Licensing: You want to make sure that your plumber is properly licensed, certified, and insured in the state.
- Business experience: Do they have a lot of experience in your area? If not, they may not have the skill needed to deal with an emergency or a complex job.
- Pricing: Pricing should be competitive in your area.
- References: A reputable professional should be able to provide you with verifiable references.
- Hours: It’s always ideal to find a plumber that offers 24/7 service (just in case).
What questions should I ask my potential plumber?
To determine if a plumber checks all of the boxes mentioned above, you can ask questions like:
- Are you a certified plumber?
- Do you offer a warranty on the plumbing work that you perform?
- Will you provide me with pricing information before you start the work?
- How long has your company been in business?
- Will you provide advice or ongoing support to help prevent future problems?
- Do you specialize in particular services?
- Do you get all the permits and inspections required by the city or state?
- Can you provide references?
Is it worth hiring a professional plumber?
We might sound biased, but there’s a difference between DIY plumbing fixes and jobs that need the pros. There will always be certain plumbing issues that you will be able to deal with on your own, including simple repairs like a clogged toilet or a backed up sink.
However, particularly if you’re a homeowner, you are bound to face some kind of plumbing emergency while you’re in your home. And you don’t want to DIY a real problem. If you’ve got a busted hot water system, you can do more harm than good by taking on the challenge yourself. Read on for the advantages that come with a professional ACT plumber.
#1 – Extra Safety
Many common problems require specialised services like digging, soldering, or working according to code. A skilled plumber will know where your piping lines run and how to work to code. They will also be able to:
Solder without a fire hazard
Understand how your drain systems work
Obtain city permits, and more
This can minimise any safety concerns you may have and let you enjoy your free time without putting yourself at risk.
#2 – Avoid Major Damage
There are many ways a DIY project can lead to water damage. For one, you can deal with a problem without truly understanding the source of the leak. This can leave the issue unchecked and allow the leak to get worse over time. In the same vein, you can make a mistake when dealing with pressurised water lines. This can trigger floods and water damage.
A professional, on the other hand, will know how to deal with shutoffs and supply lines to reduce the risk of leaks. They will also be able to use the right materials to effectively deal with a leak, making future repairs much less likely.
#3 – Specialised Equipment
Many companies offer two types of product — one for end users, and one for plumbing professionals — and the professional product will always be longer-lasting and higher quality. This is a big plus when hiring a professional. What’s more, hiring a professional reduces the risk of ordering the wrong product or equipment altogether, thereby preventing further issues down the line.
#4 – Plumbing Warranties
The right plumber will guarantee their work — and maybe even offer an extra product warranty. In other words, if it breaks, we’ll buy it. This kind of guarantee can bring peace of mind that you’ll have a lasting solution to your plumbing concern. You can’t get this if you DIY or choose an unlicensed plumber.
#5 – Save Time
Going the DIY route might seem like it’s saving time and money, but this isn’t necessarily true. If you’re dealing with a problem that you’ve never seen before, you’ll likely need to spend a significant amount of time researching on YouTube, going to the hardware store, and getting everything you need (and there’s no guarantee that you’ll get it totally right). This could wind up taking more time and effort than hiring a professional would.
Ready to hire the right local plumber? Here’s what to do next…
If you are considering hiring a plumber – particularly for a plumbing emergency in your home – you do not want to cut corners and put your home at risk. To make sure that you’re hiring the best plumber in Sunshine Coast & Maroochydore, do your homework and ask the right questions to make sure that your plumber is skilled, experienced, and well-versed in your particular problem and needs.
Also, be sure to have your plumber’s information (and potentially build a relationship) before you have an emergency situation. Having your plumber come by for maintenance or to handle a small task can help build your relationship and familiarize the plumber with your home. That way, when you do run into a problem, there will be very little friction when it comes to getting it resolved.